Sunday, April 9, 2006

Lieberman to Dems: If I Sleep With Your Best Friend, It's Your Fault

BY THERSITES
Update, April 10: link to video.
OK, that's not a quote, but it's basically what Joe Lieberman told Connecticut's Democratic voters today. In response to a question:

Joe Lalli: "Ned Lamont has already stated that he would support you if you won the Democratic nomination and Zell Miller once stated that he would always be a member of the Democratic party. Can you make similar promises?"

LIEBERMAN: "Will I always be a member of the Democratic party? I hope there's not a primary. I'm confident if there is one, I'll win it, but I'm not gonna rule out any other option for now because I feel so strongly that I can do better for the State of Connecticut for the next six years in the United States Senate that I want to give all the voters a chance to make that decision on Election day in November. I want to do it as a Democrat. If I didn't want to do it as a Democrat, I would choose to run in some other party, trust me. But I want to do it as a Democrat because I believe in the Democratic party, so really the choice is up to my fellow Democrats..."

***
Joe? There is a primary. You deserve to lose it.
Readers? Donate to Lieberman's challenger, Ned Lamont, here.
BACK TO VICHYDEMS HOME

6 comments:

jhbowden said...

I propose a trade. We'll send over Chafee and McCain for Lieberman and Nelson. Deal?

Anonymous said...

Can we have the old McCain instead of the new one?

Antid Oto said...

How about just Chafee for Leiberman? I don't really want McCain and don't really mind Nelson. If you really want to make a level II trade, send us Snowe or Collins for Bayh.

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know much about Bayh. Just hasn't been on my radar other than as a relatively irrelevant 2008 Pres candidate. What's his deal?

Antid Oto said...

From Wikipedia:

From 2001 to 2005, Bayh served as Chairman of the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), the longest term of any DLC chair (previous DLC Chairmen included Bill Clinton and Joe Lieberman). He is also a member of the Senate Centrist Coalition and helped establish the New Democrat Coalition.

Now I know we're all great fans of the DLC's work from 2001 to 2005, but despite that, I think Bayh should go. He is, among other things, an inveterate user of the "Democrats should" formulation, which implicitly condemns most Democrats. See, for example:

[T]he first thing Democrats need to do, Bayh said, is take Republicans on in an area they've dominated: national security.

"It's a threshold issue for us, and it's a threshold issue for America," Bayh said. "People aren't going to trust us with anything else if we first can't convince them to trust us with their lives."


Oh, and from the same article.

Before he spoke, Bayh told reporters that he does not support efforts by Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., another potential 2008 presidential candidate, to censure Bush for authorizing domestic eavesdropping. Bayh said it's not clear whether the law requiring court approval before surveillance was broken, and he instead favors revisiting and possibly updating the law.

Dick.

Antid Oto said...

Along with Clinton and Lieberman, Bayh is also among those Democrats beating their little tom-toms the loudest for war with Iran