Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Filthy Lucre

(Click cartoon to enlarge)
A perennial problem faced by political bloggers is the practical one of making a living: while many bloggers are doing important work, almost none make enough money at it to justify the time they invest. Many conservative bloggers are on the payroll of a party organization or foundation, but most liberal bloggers aren't, and struggle.

VichyDems is relatively new (started in January), and as a boutique blog (focusing primarily on Democratic Vichys, Republican Tories and swing-votes in Congress), gets only a few hundred hits on an average day. I spend several hours a day on the phone with politicians' offices, gleaning information from newspapers and other sites, and crafting posts, which tends to cut into the time I invest in my "real job." Saving the world simply doesn't pay as well as my family might wish. (I'm still waiting for my sidebar ad revenue to reach $100 so Google will send me a check -- which I've committed to contributing to our ActBlue candidates anyway!)

So I've decided to swallow my pride and, as many bloggers are starting to do, ask for contributions. I'm far from desperate or destitute, but even small gifts (especially if repeated monthly) do help more than people may realize. My "tip jar" is over on the right (the "Make A Donation" button); I'd be grateful for any help you can give.

Oh, and if you know any liberal millionaires looking for a blogger to support, shoot them a link, would you?
BACK TO VICHYDEMS HOME

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Publius:

(a) it’s just that most conservative bloggers have a job You don't even read posts before you flame them, do you? I wrote that blogging "tends to cut into the time I invest in my 'real job.'" I work, raise a family, volunteer at my daughters' schools and with the sheriff's search and rescue unit, and go to church. And blog. So save the sarcasm.

(b) Its not that most conservative bloggers are on the payroll of a party organization or foundation Well, it's not the inconsequential ones, but the significant ones are. Which makes me concerned for you: if you think you're significant, then you really need to work your contacts a little, because if you're not on the Scaife payroll, you're being dissed.