Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Strange Bedfellows

The last time I reported on politics making strange bedfellows was when I noted that Fox News was sponsoring a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton's Senate re-election campaign -- a surreal occurrence that's never been adequately aired in either MSM or even Democratic Party circles, let alone explained.

Now here's another one, from the recent NY Times story about Barack Obama's (apparently innocent) investment in risky stocks also boosted by some of his largest donors.

I honestly don't care about what stocks Obama invested in. What caught my eye was this nugget, buried in the second half of the story:

[T]he stock purchases raise questions about how he could unwittingly come to invest in two relatively obscure companies, whose backers happen to include generous contributors to his political committees. Among those donors was Jared Abbruzzese, a New York businessman now at the center of an F.B.I. inquiry into public corruption in Albany, who had also contributed to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group that sought to undermine John Kerry’s Democratic presidential campaign in 2004.

I try to keep discourse on a reasonably high and erudite level here, so let me calmly and politely ask: WHAT THE HOLY HELL IS A SWIFTBOATER DOING GIVING SIGNIFICANT $ TO OBAMA, AND WHAT'S OBAMA DOING TAKING HIS MONEY?

This isn't an attack on Obama -- despite some misgivings I still like him a hell of a lot better than I like Hillary, and I'm glad he's giving her a run for her money, hopefully turning the nomination into a real horserace in which the candidates will actually have to listen to Democratic voters -- but these questions needs answering. Fox raises money for Hillary? Swiftboaters give money to Obama? Yet no one seems to be asking the obvious followup questions.
BACK TO VICHYDEMS HOME

1 comment:

Tedj said...

Well...................I guess we can always vote for Nader. Doh!