Monday, April 24, 2006

Pink's "Dear Mr. President"

Thank God for poets and musicians, artists and sculptors and architects, who share the work of spreading the word in media other than mere words. Bob Geiger at democrats.com has a post today (with a link to a live performance video) that introduced me to the singer Pink and her song, "Dear Mr. President":

What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away
And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay
I can only imagine what the first lady has to say
You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine....

Let me tell you about hard work: minimum wage with a baby on the way.
Let me tell you about hard work: rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away.
Let me tell you about hard work: building a bed out of a cardboard box...
You don’t know nothing about hard work!


The video is beautiful. The performers are talented. Most of all, watching the young audience gives me hope for the next generation, and energizes me to fight on to bequeath them a world as beautiful, as free and tolerant, as the one FDR and JFK and MLK tried to give to us.
">BACK TO VICHYDEMS HOME

No comments: