Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Soliciting Thoughts on Website

Several people has expressed interest in posting here, and I've had the thought that it might be a good idea to convert VichyDems into a home base for multiple blogs.

The idea would be to have a front page with the best or most topical posts up front, and links on the sidebar to individual blogs (ideally with short headlines under each of those links so people visiting the front page can quickly decide where they want to go). Theme consistent theme would still be Vichy Dems: ie, debating who they are, who we can afford to risk losing and who we need to keep for now, regaining a majority while still moving the Party and the country left where they belong, etc.

I think I can pull this off with my own limited technical knowledge, but I'd be reinventing the wheel. I'd love to hear from you:

A) Whether you like the general idea, and/or have any different or better suggestions or improvements, and

B) If you have the technical know-how to help me do it, HELP!

I've also had some ideas about a strategic vision for both reclaiming the majority and still stomping on those nasty Vichys that keep scuttling out from under the fridge -- I don't think they have to be contradictory goals. And I want us to show good manners by thanking the Senators who did the right thing on the filibuster -- which means I need to ID who they are, and get up a list of contact info, just like we did during the fight. I'll have both of those up here either later today or first thing tomorrow.

Please, let me know your thoughts about the site -- and please keep coming back!

5 comments:

Julie in VT said...

I think I can help out with this if you're interested. What I'd probably want to do is build a simple interface for you which allows you to maintain your own comments section with links to other peoples' blog entries. I'm not sure how to do this within blogger, but I can defnitely do it through php/MySQL on a dedicated server.

--julie

Anonymous said...

Julie:
That would be awesome. I'm going to go see whether the vichydems.com domain is available -- is that the right thing to do? I'm not married to blogger; it was just a convenient way to get things started quickly, esp. since I'm a blogging and html newbie. (Fast learner, though!)

Anonymous said...

I think a "clearing house" type of idea is good. I'm not a blogger, and I have no idea how to do it, but you may be onto a very good idea. There are so many blogs though. You would have to be always watching a feed of them to keep the headlines fresh. I know the Google desktop will do that, but I don't know how well.
I think a place for people to share actions that are taking place or ideas about actions we may want to pursue would also be helpful. But, it's not my blog. lol

Anonymous said...

Next time you fax, email or call a senator or representative, include this in with your demand:

Until the legislation or action I demand gets done I will boycott products from Republican contributors Walmart, Wendy’s, Outback Steak House, Dominos Pizza, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Eckerd, CVS and Walgreens, Curves for women health clubs, GE and Exxon/Mobil.

Join the revolution for progressive legislation

http://www.boycott-republicans.com

Anonymous said...

Atlantic

I propose a large billboard of Ted Kennedy.
For every one to trow eggs at it !!!!

Eh eh eh eh !!!